Emilio Lustau S.A. was founded in 1896 by Don José Ruiz-Berdejo. It was a humble beginning: Don José, a secretary in the courts of justice, used to cultivate the vineyards at his estate “Nuestra Señora de la Esperanza”, where he stored and aged the wines and afterwards sold them to the larger exporting companies. He was in fact what is known as an “almacenista”. In 1940, his son-in-law Don Emilio Lustau Ortega moved the bodega to the Santiago district, in the old quarter of Jerez. There, in buildings which formed a part of the ancient Moorish city wall, he expanded the business gradually, still as an “almacenista”. During the seventies the company continued expanding. The first step was building new bodegas at the family estate “Nuestra Señora de la Esperanza”. Then, at the beginning of the eighties and under the management of Rafael Balao, Lustau became one of the most innovative companies in Jerez. Rafael Balao had the intuition that Lustau had to be at the forefront of quality. His ideas combined tradition and innovation and carved out the way for identifying Lustau with quality and prestige.