Our wonderful distillery, on the banks of the River Teith, has always been at the very heart of Deanston.
It first opened its doors in 1785, not as a distillery, but as a cotton mill. As the mill flourished, the village began to take shape. Workers’ houses were built, local shops were opened and a community was born.
Changing times resulted in the closure of the mill in 1965 but was it possible that the perfect place to make cotton was also the perfect place to make whisky?
It most certainly was.
And so the renovation began. Three floors were removed to accommodate four copper stills and a mash tun and the even temperature in the former weaving shed made the ideal resting place for whisky to delicately mature. Perhaps being a distillery had been the building’s true calling all along?
We like to think of it as a natural progression. Without the mill there would be no Deanston, let alone a distillery and we are immensely proud to be making our whisky in the very place our community began.
Being true to our heritage we value tradition over trend. No modern technology is used in the making of our Single Malts. Each bottle is crafted by hand to give you the authentic, creamy, sweet, honey blossom taste that is unmistakably Deanston.
Everything we do connects the traditions of the past with the enjoyment of the present and the single malts we craft here are best savoured with like-minded souls.